Question: Treating Abscess or Fistula for Crohn's sufferer

Thank you Dr. Bressler for your answer to my previous question. As a follow-on, what are the typical treatment methods for a Crohn's patient who has an abscess and how does this differ from treatment for a fistula? Thank you very much in advance.

- AY



Community member


An abscess is a pocket of infected fluid so it needs to be either treated with antibiotics or drained with surgery. A fistula is treated with medications that treat Crohn's disease such as infliximab.


Dr. Brian Bressler


Get Answers from Doctors

Don’t waste time looking for answers online. Ask our doctors general questions you have about Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis.

Ask a Question